Transmission of Sound by Liquids
  The demonstration that sound is transmitted by liquids using this apparatus was developed by the French maker of acoustical apparatus, Albert Marloye (1785-1874), whose business was bought by Koenig in 1858. 

   The tuning fork is lifted from its socket, which is then filled with water. The fork is set into vibration, and its stem lowered into the water. The up-and-down motion of the stem is conveyed through the water to the top of the resonant box, which begins to ring. The tuning fork is then removed, and the sound coming from the box dies away. 

   This Marloye apparatus is in the demonstration collection of Glasgow University.

   This device to show the transmission of sound through water clearly shows the Koenig logo on the right-hand side of the resonator box. 

   It is in the collection of the National Museum of American History of the Smithsonian Institution. 

   This apparatus is at Colby College in Waterville, Maine.

  Similar devices are shown on another page.

Return to Koenig Home Page

Return to Home Page