| The cylindrical and spherical cells at the
right is in the Garland Collection at Vanderbilt University, and the one
at the right below is at Washington and Lee University. At the left below
is a cell at the United States Military Academy.
These cells were used for the study of absorption spectra of iodine, bromine, hypo-nitrous acid and other gases. The spherical cells are listed in the 1888 "Illustrated Catalogue of Instruments used in Physical Optics" published by James W. Queen and Co. of Philadelphia at $7.00.
|| This is a refraction cell used to hold volatile liquids,
such as carbon disulphide, for use in a prism spectrometer. It has been
made by grinding off two corners of an alcohol burner and attaching glass
The cell is in the Jack Judson Collection at the Magic
Lantern collection in San Antonio, Texas.
| Electrochemical reactions can be projected
using cells like the one at the right. Electrodes extending into the solution
inside the cell are connected to the terminals of a battery.
This unmarked cell is in the Jack Judson Collection at the Magic Lantern Museum in San Antonio, Texas.
Return to Optics Home Page | Return to Home Page