Page's Revolving Armature
| Charles Grafton Page invented the Revolving Armature
in February 1838. It uses the same mechanism as the revolving
armature engine : the ends of a pivoted iron bar are drawn toward
the poles of an electromagnet, and, as they approach closely to the
poles, a commutator breaks the circuit, and the angular momentum of
the bar carries it on to the next time that the magnet is energized.
The current through the coils thus turns on and off. This property
make it possible to use the revolving armature as an interrupter
or electrotome for the conversion of a direct current into pulsating
current. This use is shown below with a small double helix used
for medical electricity.
Return to Davis Home Page | Return
to Home Page