| "In the instrument represented [at the left], the two
double helixes are fixed horizontally in the same line. The iron bars are
connected at their bends by a transverse bar, through the ends of which
pass guiding rods. These slide in the tops of the small pillars, and keep
the bent bars in place. On the shaft of the balance wheel is the break-piece."
(from the 1851 edition of the Manual of Magnetism, pp 182-183)
This engine was invented by Charles Grafton Page and described by him in the American Journal of Science in 1845.
|"Horizontal Reciprocating Engine. Two electro- magnets of the U-form ... are supported in a horizontal position, with a single armature fitted to vibrate horizontally between them. When the battery connections s are made with the screw-cups on the baseboard, one of the magnets will be charged, provided the break-piece is in such a position with regard to the springs as to complete the circuit. The armature will now be attracted toward the charged poles. Just before it reaches them, the movement of the break-piece interrupts the current in the magnet, destroying its polarity, and then causes the current to be transmitted through the opposite one... The rotation of the wheel causes the hammer to strike the bell..." (From the 1851 Manual of Magnetism, pp 206-207)|
Return to Davis Home Page | Return to Home Page